Acting on, not just thinking




I'm utterly bereft of excuses to not have had the time all of last year to have indulged in random musings. Not sure if I should feel ashamed or kid myself that I have had a productive enough 2017 in that regard. Yes, I did a couple of good interviews and wrote a few appreciable pieces for work, but does that amount to doing enough for myself? I can't think of anything that I really did for myself all of last year really. And by that, I mean from a personal-growth perspective. The year before, I took off to Bali - that was for me. Solely. That helped me learn a fair few things about myself. For example, how I operate within a realm of my own secure space while by myself.

But when I was asked what I had done for myself lately, I was stumped. I had no answers. Hang on, I did actually do something for myself, coming to think of it now. Crossfit. It helped me a fair bit last year, when I was disciplined and worked out regularly. I was in a better mental space, approached things with a fresh perspective, slept over troubles to see if they even were even issues worth fretting over the next morning (advice from someone I look up to) and I hadn't felt better about my body before that. But once that became a sporadic activity, I backtracked. Where that hit me the most was internally.

Whilst being caught in the humdrum of routine, is it fair to overlook nurturing your mind or soul?

Am I the best version of myself right now that I know I can be? No.

What did he pick on as my first step to fixing that? - Focussing on the solution and not the problem.

The human brain is fascinating; you know what you need to do to fix something, yet you wallow because you allow yourself to. I have, perhaps, been. But it's not too late to fix that as I've realised and been told a fair few times in the last few months. If I asked him what is wrong with me, he said find what's right first and then pick and focus on one of those to find a fix. He also suggested writing thing down 'X' number of things that were right with me, instead of indulging in introspection that focussed on all the wrongs. I decided on 50 - and trust me, it wasn't hard. As hard as it seemed at first to find the rights, it wasn't when I put my mind to it. The key being: putting my mind to it.

They say everything happens for a reason, I couldn't agreed more. He said things to me that I needed to hear from someone; and coming from him meant more than it could have had it come from anyone else.

It's not surprising I'm writing this at 3 am, because it actually got me acting on it, not just thinking, or overthinking. 

Comments

Popular Posts