Mr X




Is there a concealed power in the Universe? I never doubted that for even a second.

I walked into my everyday coffee shop last evening with an inspired idea of productivity. Three hours since, I had made a 327-word progress. The initial idea of constructive utilisation of my time was drowned by three voices. The third of which, I believe was one of those instances of the Universe conspiring.

Let's just call him Mr X for the sake of anonymity. X and I had met back in 2012. I had just moved to Bangalore and was headed home for the weekend when I met him at the bus stop. He was working in Hyderabad with Microsoft then. After conversations galore through the journey, like they say, the rest is history.

X's name had popped up four days ago in one of the newsletters from Goodreads and I thought, 'I wonder how he's doing. I should text him one of these days and see what he's been upto'. Just as that thought came in, it slid out with the same tempo that it had entered. And then last night, while I sat lost in the various throught streams, a notification on my phone had an unread message from X. It was the third instance of someone adhering to my call of thought in the last month or so - and out of the blue.

But what I really love about my acquaintance with X, apart from the fact that we can be random as fuck, is his genuine eagerness to know things. How many people can you say are genuinely interested in your life or what you do? How many actually mean and want to know in truth what's happening in your life or how you are? I can't name a lot that belong in the category. 'How are you?' and 'what's happening?' are phrases thrown so loosely in our everyday life that they have lost their relevance. But when X asks me how I am, he really means it in every sense of the word. He wants to know; he is curious and is concerned in equal measure. And for me, in reciprocation, I want to tell him what exactly is happening. We don't have to talk to each other everyday, or every three months even. But when we do, the time lapse counts for nothing.

The advantage of that time lapse, though, is tracking personal growth; inspiring and motivating each other to move out of our comfort zones. Are we in a better position since the last time we spoke? - That's our yardstick. And then last night, he made me an offer with regards to being a part of a journey I have been meaning to undertake for the longest time. It came out of the blue, just like his message, but it was the nudge in the right direction that I needed.

And here I am, taking the first step towards that early this morning.

Comments

Popular Posts